Understanding Big Data Manager and Its Roles and Responsibilities
A Big Data Manager is a strategic thinker of an organization’s success. He/she is responsible for developing and managing data-oriented systems for business. Big data managers also need to ensure a high level of data quality and accessibility for business intelligence and big data analytics applications. Some organizations are well acquainted with gleaning data, but they are not good at managing and understanding it well. This is where the role of Big Data Managers becomes indispensable. They have data management and data analysis knowledge and skills. They help technical teams and business leaders by simplifying data issues within the company.
Big data managers also help organizations in locating valuable information in large sets of both unstructured and structured data from a variety of sources. Those sources can be call details, system logs, and social media sites, among others.
Must-Have Skills and Knowledge
As a big data manager who manages technical projects, he/she needs to have sufficient knowledge of numerous programming languages such as Python, Java, R, Clojure, Matlab, Pig, or SQL. The manager should also have a basic understanding of Hadoop, Hive, MapReduce, and other technical knowledge. Besides, Big Data Managers require to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or other information technology disciplines. They must be good at problem-solving skills, data classification to effectively analyze large datasets, and business acumen.
With, Big Data Managers require to have skills and knowledge in Natural Language Processing, Machine learning, Conceptual modeling, Statistical analysis, Hypothesis testing, and predictive modeling.
• A Big Data Manager’s responsibilities involve:
• Managing incoming data files on clients and staff
• Providing individual accounts with access to apt data
• Maintaining databases and performing routine maintenance as necessary
• Streamlining data collection and analysis procedures to ensure fast access to metrics
• Generating and reviewing documentation for all database changes or refinements
• Analyzing data for inconsistencies or anomalies that could skew analytical results
• Making recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage upgrades
• Communicating with managers and staff to effectively understand and interpret data changes or requirements
• Building relationships with the data management team to meet organizations’ objectives
• Cultivating data culture to drive data-driven decision making and more
Top 5 Companies Hiring Big Data Manager in India
The role of a big data manager is high in demand and the position can be vary based on organizations’ objectives and needs. Here are the top 5 companies currently hiring big data managers in India.
Job role: Big Data Operations Engineer
Micron Technology is a semiconductor company that manufactures DRAM, SDRAM, flash memory, SSD, and CMOS image sensing chips. The company is currently looking for Big Data Data Operations Engineers to be part of its IT Data Operations Team within the Enterprise Analytics and Data organization. The Data Operation team at the company works closely with the development team and Micron’s business functions in all aspects of data, data warehousing, and business intelligence supporting and maintaining data assets and Big Data applications and solutions. The candidates for this position will be responsible for:
• Providing L2 support for Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence (BI) solutions and platforms
• Participating in design, architecture review and deployment of Data Warehouse data models and solutions
• Collaborating with business partners and other IT teams to ensure data solutions are available, recover from failures and operate healthily
• Troubleshooting operational issues, escalations and resolve business partner issues in a timely manner with strong collaboration and care for business priorities
• Managing knowledge as it relates to Operations and more
Job role: Big Data Platform Product Manager
PayPal, a leading online payment system that supports online money transfers, creates better ways to manage and move money and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying, or getting paid. At PayPal, the product manager for big data platform will build a world-class data platform for PayPal’s data engineers, data scientists and data analysts to stimulate top-line and bottom-line growth for the company through data-driven decisions.
The candidate for this position will be responsible for:
• Driving product strategy and creating capabilities that application teams can leverage to have a direct impact on PayPal end-user experience
• Working cross-functionally (with global BUs, engineering, and design) and developing strong relationships that help build trust with key partner teams.
• Evangelizing product roadmap internally and externally in informal and formal settings
• Running lean experiments to inform future investment areas
• Continuously collect customer feedback to further improve the platform and products
Job role: Data Engineer
Amazon is a leading e-commerce giant that operates across the world. As a Data Engineer, candidates must be familiar with all of the new age data engineering technologies such as Distributed computing, MPP systems, Cloud, NoSQL databases, Data Models, and at least one programming language – JAVA/PYTHON/SCALA. At the company, the candidate will lead technical teams or participate in close customer interactions while having an influencing role, and be accountable for deliverables.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for:
• Applying broad knowledge of technology options, technology platforms, design techniques and approaches across the data warehouse life cycle phases to design an integrated, quality solution to address the business requirements
• Meeting and collaborating with business users on requirements, objectives, and measures
• Designing the technology infrastructure across all technical environments
• Ensuring completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance, availability and architecture requirements
• Designing and planning for the integration for all data engineering components and more
Job role: Senior Big Data Administrator
Positioned at Publicis Groupe’s core, Epsilon is a leader in interaction management, empowering brands to transform ordinary customer experiences into meaningful, human experiences. The candidates for this position at the company will need to participate in gathering requirements and contribute to the architecture design of Big Data solutions for Marketing and Advertising analytics. They will work closely with IT, developers and competency teams to ensure that applications availability and performance are within agreed on service levels
For these job roles, candidates will be responsible for:
• The building, configuring and managing Hadoop and Spark cluster environments on in-house bare-metal servers
• Working with client teams in the support of development and deployment of Hadoop and Spark jobs
• Managing cluster data replication to the Disaster Recovery site, data encryption, backup storage, and archiving procedures
• Performing cluster administration tasks including patching, upgrades, backup and recovery, troubleshooting, performance diagnostics, and tuning, MapReduce and SQL optimization
• Evaluating Big Data technologies and Cloud Services and recommend technical management and more
Job role: Big Data Platform Lead/Manager
Fanatics is the global leader in licensed sports merchandise and changing the way fans purchase their favorite team apparel and jerseys. The big data platform team is responsible for building and managing common data platform components such as big data processing engines, workflow engines, data governance tools, and more that can be used by other teams in the company. The ideal candidate will have a track record of building and leading data engineering/data platform teams, and driving improvements in data technology and performance.
The candidate for this position will be responsible for:
• Owning the technical roadmap for evolving the data platform to support the future needs of the business
• Providing thought leadership and mentoring to the data engineering team on how data should be stored and processed more efficiently and quickly at scale
• Maintaining the big data platform and driving toward better SLA & cost optimization for the engineering and business teams
• Partnering closely with Engineering, Data Science, and various business teams to deliver all required data assets and ensure data quality and timeliness
• Working with data engineers to create services that can ingest and supply data to and from external sources