5 hacks to help protect yourself against cybercrime if you know nothing about itby Analytics Insight July 22, 2020
Cybercrime is an ongoing threat on the internet ever since it became our number one source of information
We spend a lot of our time browsing the internet and surfing the web, but we think little of our safety. Cyber-attacks and hackers are an ongoing threat that has been following the internet since it became popular. Being exposed to one could be really harmful for the victim of such crimes in both a psychological and financial way. So how do you protect yourself against cybercrime? What are the steps you can take to at least minimize the threat of being hacked or exposed? In this article, we will go over certain tips and hacks you can use in order to stay safer on the internet.
What is cybercrime?
As the name suggests, cybercrime is a form of threats, malicious intents, and hacks that happen in the online world. It can range from security breaches to identity thefts and financial exposing.
Cybercriminals often perform their attacks by targeting computer networks and devices. Realizing this is an important issue and making an agile cyber-security strategy will make the internet experience more safe and pleasant for every user.
Steps to take in order to protect yourself from Cybercrime
Anyone using the internet should exercise some precautions in order to prevent or minimalize any possible cybercrime or malicious intent. Here are some of the basic steps you should take into consideration:
1. Use strong passwords – Making complex passwords and changing them when using different websites is one of the safest ways to ensure that you do not get hacked. Making complex passwords means using numerals, capital letters or symbols in order to achieve maximum security for your account.
2. Make sure your software is up to date – Cyber criminals usually use exploits or flaws that occur in software in order to gain access to your system. Patching those flaws and updating your software will lower the chances of them being able to gain entry to any personal data or information.
3. Keep your social media private – As we live in a time where social media has a huge impact on society it is important that we know the dangers it can bring. Keeping your posts on the public is never a good idea. The more you share the more exposed you are to anyone who wanders into your account and exposing private information like your pet’s name or other personal information can expose the answers to common security questions.
4. Know when you are exposing yourself – Identity thefts can occur anywhere, whether you are traveling or sitting at your couch at home. Being tricked into giving away any personal information due to fraud or deception e-mails and messages could lead to potential identity theft or financial losses.
5. Start using VPN – With the widespread use of the internet all over the world it is best that you keep up to date with software and apps that will keep you safe online. With VPN you make sure you are not being tracked and keep your internet traffic unbreached. VPN is an essential internet tool that provides the best quality of security and anonymity when it comes to being on the internet.
What is VPN
VPN or Virtual Private Network is an essential internet tool that encrypts your internet data and masks your real-life IP address. Having the function of an internet shield and using tunneling protocols this software will be of most help when it comes to protecting yourself from cybercrime. By creating a single shared private network it allows you to have a safe and unbreachable internet traffic flow between you and the server of your choosing. Even though it may sound complicated this software is amateur-friendly and is relatively easy to pick up on.
Using this type of protection is probably the best way you can protect yourself from cybercrime no matter where you are located or what websites you are visiting. When we say it provides maximum protection we really mean it. From masking your IP address to encrypting any data that is being transferred between servers VPN can mask your internet activity even from the government, ISP (Internet Service Providers), and of course hackers and cybercriminals.
Essential features VPN should offer
Even-though the VPN software on its own is good enough to keep you safe from most of the cyber-attacks that can occur, there are some essentials to look for in VPN in order to achieve the best possible chance to protect yourself from cybercrime:
• Fast connection speed
• Strong data encryption
• High-quality security protocols
• 24/7 available customer service
• Detailed and secure privacy policies
• Value for money
• Software availability and amateur-friendly interface
There are a lot of VPN providers on the market right now and each one has a different offer on the table. Although the essence of the software remains the same there are different variables that you should look for in order to achieve the best possible deal and safety.
You should always do your own research and opt for the VPN that will suit your needs the most. What we mentioned above are some of the main features to look for when searching for a VPN but only you know what suits your needs the best. Given the fact that this is a service that is being paid, you should see what kind of offers suit your needs the best and choose the one that will provide the most for a certain amount of money.
We live in a time and age where our possibilities keep expanding day by day via the internet and security is something we should not neglect in any shape or form, that is why you should start using VPN as from today and make sure your identity is always secured and anonymity guaranteed.