One of the world’s leading online learning platform, MathWorks and Coursera have recently announced a joint venture to address the data science skill gap.
‘Practical Data Science with MATLAB’ is one of the courses from the series of courses that are being developed by MathWorks. The first course from the above course ‘Explanatory Data Analysis with MATLAB’ is now available on Coursera. Coursera has now opened the registration for the four-course Specialization. This course will help learners solve domain-specific data problems using MATLAB.
The Coursera Global Skills Index (GSI) report in March 2019 revealed that the demand for data science skills is accelerating by both individuals and companies. The year-over-year learner enrolment numbers within the domain of data science show that there was a significant increase in demand for competencies of ML and statistical programming. The generation of huge amounts of data has fueled the need for more and more data science professionals who have greater personalization in products and services and also able to influence the popularity of such skills.
The aforementioned course with MATLAB is a type of specialization course which will address this upsurging demand. The course aims at engineers, scientists, and researchers who need to learn data science either as part of their job or to branch into new career opportunities. This course series allows domain experts to learn and implement data science without investing time in building or honing software development skills.
The duration of each course is five weeks and upon completion of the four-course specialization, learners will be set to start implementing MATLAB efficiency to common analysis tasks found in applications including autonomous systems, voice recognition, predictive maintenance, and medical imaging.
Here’s all you need to know about the course.
Features of the Course:
• 100% online courses
• Owing to its flexibility, Learners can start instantly and learn at their own schedule.
• They can set and maintain flexible deadlines.
• It is a beginner level course
• Approximately 1 month is required to complete – (Suggested 16 hours/week)
• The course is in English (Subtitles: English)
What ‘Practical Data Science with MATLAB’ offers?
• Course 1 – Exploratory Data Analysis with MATLAB
• Course 2 – Data Processing and Feature Engineering with MATLAB
• Course 3 – Predictive Modeling and Machine Learning with MATLAB
• Course 4 – Data Science Project: MATLAB for the Real World
What does each course include?
• Shareable Specialization and Course Certificates
• Self-Paced Learning Option
• Course Videos & Readings
• Practice Quizzes
• Graded Assignments with Peer Feedback
• Graded Quizzes with Feedback
• Graded Programming Assignments
How does the course work?
Take Courses – To begin, enroll in the Specialization directly, or review its courses and choose the one you’d like to start with. When you subscribe to a course that is part of a Specialization, you’re automatically subscribed to the full Specialization. It’s okay to complete just one course — you can pause your learning or end your subscription at any time. Visit your learner dashboard to track your course enrollments and your progress.
Hands-on Project – Every Specialization includes a hands-on project. You’ll need to successfully finish the project(s) to complete the Specialization and earn your certificate. If the Specialization includes a separate course for the hands-on project, you’ll need to finish each of the other courses before you can start it.
Earn a Certificate – When you finish every course and complete the hands-on project, you’ll earn a Certificate that you can share with prospective employers and your professional network.
Instructors for the Course:
• Nikola Trica – Senior Online Content Developer, MathWorks
• Maria Gavilan-Alfonso – Senior Online Content Developer, MathWorks
• Heather Gorr – Senior Product Manager, MathWorks
• Michael Reardon – Senior Online Content Developer, MathWorks
• Adam Filion – Senior Product Manager, MathWorks
• Erin Byrne – Senior Course Developer, MathWorks
• Brandon Armstrong – Senior Online Content Developer, MathWorks
• Cris LaPierre – Senior Online Content Developer, MathWorks
Dil Sidhu, Chief Content Officer at Coursera said – “The data science skills gap spans industries and countries. We’re excited to launch this new content featuring MATLAB, which has worldwide appeal given its use across disciplines in industry and academia. In this Specialization, learners will work with trusted MATLAB capabilities and use community-driven solutions from the large MATLAB user base, gaining skills they can use to do their jobs more efficiently and strengthen their careers.”
Also, Seth DeLand, Technical Marketing Manager – Data Science, MathWorks stated – “Engineers, scientists, and researchers are increasingly working on projects that demand data processing, feature engineering, and machine learning to build and operationalize predictive models. They rely on learning platforms like Coursera to acquire and hone these data science skills. Our new series of courses supports multiple types of learners, including those new to data science who want to learn and understand where to apply this in their work, as well as domain experts already involved in projects requiring data science who want a deeper understanding so they can begin immediately using data science on a project.”