As the reach of data science expands across the globe, developed, developing or underdeveloped, all countries are looking forward to enhance their data-friendly infrastructure, capacity and workforce. Especially in United Kingdoms, the technology is at rise with increasing demand for data science professionals. A recent report revealed that around 80 percent of the UK companies planning to hire data scientists or seek data consultancy in coming years. Several companies are seeking specialist skills and expertise to help navigate the potentials of uncertain market conditions.
Here is the list of top 10 data science job opportunities in UK along with their employer and salary offerings.
Junior Data Scientist
Description: The Harnham Data Science team have been exclusively retained by a FTSE 250 company building out a machine learning unit in London.
As a team of 15 Machine Learning Data Scientists, the candidate will sit at the heart of the organisation with one clear goal: to introduce machine learning to several key areas, building end-to-end machine learning and automated decisioning systems.
As a team he/she will report directly to the board (CDO) and have significant resources to drive his/her initiative forward and grow the capability.
Key parts of the job will be to utilise cutting-edge machine learning techniques to bring considerable value for the business.
• An excellent academic track record (Ph. D preferred)
• Good knowledge of the machine learning fundamentals
• Strong communication skills
• Strong programming/coding skills (Python preferred)
Salary: £60,000 – £65,000 a year
Associate Data Scientist
Company: Supersolid – London
Description: The candidate will be working especially closely with senior management, data analysts, product managers, and the marketing team. He/she will help develop regular reports but also help lead deeper explorative analyses to directly shape the future direction of company’s games. The ability to clearly articulate hypotheses, run complex SQL queries to mine the wealth of data the company collects, and presents findings and suggestions is also critical to the role.
The candidate will be expected to be proactive in contributing data-backed recommendations for his/her gaming titles. There is also a focus on data modelling (to help develop internal stack), and machine learning (using data to automatically serve better tailored experiences to each player). With particular focus on projecting retention and spend.
• Strong experience in creating SQL queries
• Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (R, Python, SPSS or SAS) is highly desired
• Knowledge of machine learning techniques preferably in Python or R
• Experience with designing and setting up dashboards in BI tools is a plus
• Advanced MS Excel skills
• Some interest in Mobile Games
Salary: £28,000 – £35,000 a year
Description: The Data Scientist is a specialized position responsible for ad hoc analyses and projects requiring knowledge of advanced statistical methodologies and tools. This position is an expert statistician possessing experience with various analytics tools (R, SAS JMP, Python, Alteryx, etc.). The successful candidate will work with business and technical resources to identify, coordinate, and guide advanced analytic endeavors. The Data Scientist will also have the ability to effectively communicate findings to all levels of the business.
• Expert in statistical methods and predictive modeling
• Extensive experience in data mining
• Excellent SAS JMP skills
• Strong communications skills and ability to coordinate project teams
• Strong SQL development skills
• Strong skill with R and/or Python a plus
• Strong knowledge of MS Power BI preferred
Salary: £60,000 – £70,000 a year
Research Data Scientist
Description: The candidate will be in charge of developing modeling, simulation, and validation tools to support Afiniti’s AI production team. The particular challenges of its domain require applying a wide range of classical to cutting-edge techniques – often with extensive tailoring – to build models and statistically validate their predicted performance. This involves careful analysis of complex environments and the ramifications of a change to company’s real-time pairing and recommendation systems. The R&D team works intimately with Afiniti’s production data scientists, so the role can involve assisting with particularly tricky client models and developing new strategies to address complicated metrics or routing structures.
The candidate will also work with company’s engineering teams and developers to write its real-time call-tracking, pairing and task assignment systems in addition to Afiniti’s modeling and monitoring infrastructure
• Experience with statistics, machine learning, linear programming, or mathematical optimization, both practical and theoretical
• Graduate degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Econometrics, Operations Research, or other field with relevant research
• Excellent skills at distilling complex, ambiguous scenarios into tractable models
• Familiarity with simulation and at least one programming language for data analysis such as R, Python, or Julia
• Familiarity with SQL, relational databases, version control, and tools for reproducibility such as git, Jupyter and R Markdown, make, or authoring custom packages
• Demonstrated ability to manage time independently and take projects to completion
• Willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
• Ability to document and explain cutting-edge techniques to other team members
• Comfort working in a collaborative environment with cross-team communication to bring projects into production
• Familiarity with Bayesian statistics, hierarchical modeling, MCMC algorithms, latent factor models
• Familiarity with reinforcement learning, dynamic programming, multi-armed bandits
• Publications in machine learning, statistics, or optimization
• Software engineering experience, particularly C++
Salary: £34,000 – £57,000 a year
Junior Data Analyst
Company: Springer Nature
Description: Springer Nature are looking for a Junior Data Analyst, to join the Editorial Operations Performance & Planning team within the Springer Nature Journal Group. The Junior Data Analyst supports the editorial and publishing needs of over 3000 journals in the Springer Nature Journals group by acquiring and analysing data, and extracting key insights to report to stakeholders at all levels. Reporting will monitor company’s performance against its KPIs and ensure it uses data driven decisions to provide a best-in-class service for its authors, editors and reviewers.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in maths, statistics or a scientific subject
• Training in a field related to science or data analysis.
• Strong statistical, problem-solving and analytical skills, with a demonstrated ability to accurately collect, organize, and analyse information
• A passion for data and an understanding of how to work with large data sets
Strong knowledge of and experience with Excel for data analysis
• Excellent data presentation and report writing skills, and a keen eye for detail
• Experience with database administration, database management (SQL), data visualization software (Tableau) or programming (Python, R) is an advantage.
• Publishing industry experience strongly preferred
• Willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies under minimum guidance
• Ability to work in groups and independently
• Willing and able to adapt to multiple demands and shifting priorities
Salary: £27,593 – £33,828 a year
HTD Data Scientist
Company: University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Description: Applications are invited for the new 2 year fixed-term appointment for a full-time data scientist, ideally with postgraduate qualification in data or computational science. The postholder will be supporting the Hospital for Tropical Diseases and the wider Infection Division at UCLH. The post will be linked to the UCLH Clinical Research Informatics Unit, who are responsible for the development and governance of an electronic data warehouse (the EMAP platform) to be used for audit, service development and operational research.
Previous experience within the NHS is not essential. Proven experience of working with relational databases, using SQL is required. Additional skills for example with R and with machine learning programmes would be beneficial
Salary: £36,481 – £44,044 a year
Company: Lloyds Banking Group
Description: The company is embarking on a three year, £3billion, transformation programme – putting unprecedented levels of investment into its platforms, people and data capabilities to build the bank of the future.
And with over 30 million customers it is looking to harness the data it holds to ensure the company becomes the best Bank for customers through its products and Services…and also help it fight crime.
• Splunk or Tableau
• Spark, Hadoop, HiveQL
• Previous exposure to MLlib, Scikit-Learn etc.
• Working with cloud-based solutions such as AWS or Azure
• Wider programming proficiency in Java or R
• Possess an appropriate educational background in a numerical or computing-based subject.
• Use of Python practically in real world business applications.
• Understanding and practical application of Machine Learning techniques within a commercial/industrial context.
• Exhibit a natural flair for statistical analysis and innovating in their use and application.
Salary: £45,423 – £50,470 a year
Company: Oscar Technology
Description: A London-based business is looking to hire TWO Data Scientists to join their team in Central London and help develop and build their AI driven product. They are using Machine Learning and Computer Vision to build a tool that will help identify and classify different types of foliage. Their product will transform the future of infrastructure projects and already has a strong financial backing.
Candidate will be hands on in using his Machine Learning and Computer Vision skills to help develop, build and enhance their product. He’ll be working alongside and established team of engineers, and will get to learn from experts with over 15 years’ experience in the industry.
• Proven experience in using Machine Learning (this can be in a commercial setting or for university projects)
• Programming skills (Python/R Language)
• Product development experience would be a bonus
• Must be able to talk in depth/show evidence of previous Machine Learning experience and projects.
Salary: £45,000 – £50,000 a year
Junior Data Analyst
Company: Sparta Global
Description: Sparta Global is looking for candidates who want a business focused career as a Data Analyst. You will examine, communicate and negotiate business processes whilst collaborating with company’s client’s technical teams and senior stakeholders. Learn to translate numbers into English and use it to help some of the world’s most famous companies make better business decisions. Sparta Global only recruits people with a desire to make the most of their natural ability so candidate must be keen to learn and fast track his career.
• Driven and enthusiastic candidates who want to launch a dynamic career in Data consultancy.
• Individuals who are passionate about problem solving, collaboration, communication and personal impact.
• Natural curiosity for Data Analytics
• Analytical mindset
• Problem solver and creative thinker
• Basic knowledge of tools such as Excel, Tableau or Python
• Passion and drive to succeed in a commercial business environment
• Natural affinity for technology with a desire to improve technical skills
• Ability to solve problems independently using an analytical approach
• People from any Degree background with a passion for technology who are keen to develop their skillset through continual professional development
• Graduates from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM subjects. It isn’t a prerequisite to have a technology-based degree
• Strong interpersonal skills ” the ability to liaise with clients in a personable and professional manner
• Self-motivated and ambitious
• Good at problem solving and perseveres when comes across challenges
• Has a genuine interest in developing on knowledge and skills in the fast-changing world of technology
Salary: £21,000 – £25,999 a year
Statistical Data Scientist
Company: Rothamsted Research
Description: The successful applicant will act as liaison statistician/data scientist for an identified group of researchers (both staff and PhD students), and be expected to develop expertise in particular application areas (current areas of interest include multi-experiment analysis, metagenomics and satellite imagery) by building up medium-term collaborations. The post-holder will also be involved in the delivery and development of statistical training courses within the institute.
• Postdoctoral or Postgraduate Statistical Data Scientist required
• A broad working knowledge of the application of a broad range of statistics and/or data science approaches is required
• Experience related to the application of statistical data science approaches in plant or animal sciences
• Knowledge of the GenStat statistical package and R statistical programming environment
• Experience in small-group teaching
• Experience of working in multidisciplinary research teams, and of communicating statistical data science concepts to non-statisticians